[council]

Re: [council] Collisions in Namespace

Erica:
Yes, I have a lot of thoughts on how we can provide guidance to a Working Group. My main concern at this point is simply to

a) get the NC to recognize the need for pro-active policy formation on this matter

b) get the NC to realize the benefits to the community of approaching this potentially explosive and troublesome issue in an open and non-pre-emptive way.

No time for extensive elaboration at the moment. But I suggest that we provide a WG with a very broad, relatively simple statement, such as:

"In authorizing new Top-level domains, how should ICANN relate to TLD strings that are already occupied by other root server systems?

"Three basic options can be considered (though the WG may identify others):
1. Ignore them regardless of potential technical and legaql conflicts
2. Avoid making any assignments that conflict with them
3. Enter into procedural or technical methods of coordinating with them or incorporating them into the ICANN root.

Identify and carefully evaluate the costs, risks, and benefits of each option."

As I said before, I think this kind of issue is perfect for an open working group. Let all the steam blow out and all the yelling and screaming take place there, and see if some minimal consensus points can emerge from it. If nothing emerges, that in itself is a useful finding, and we can report it to the Board. If they bring forward something stupid we'll find out when we put it up for public comment. And of course, there is some chance that something useful will come out of it.

>>> "Erica Roberts" <erica.roberts@bigpond.com> 04/13/01 20:46 PM >>>
Hi Milton,
Folowing th election of Patrick Corliss to the GA Alt Chair, the relevance
of this topic is clear.  However, while I tend to agree with your comment
that:
,given enough time and some clear guidance, such a group might achieve some
consensus points that could bring about a temporary ceasefire .....
the key issue is the guidance that should be provided to such a TF.
Do you have any thoughts on this?

erica