From: owner-council@dnso.org [mailto:owner-council@dnso.org]On Behalf Of
Paul M. Kane
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 4:11 AM
To: council@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [council] Fw: your proposal - consultation periods

Erica Roberts wrote:

> <snip>
>
> The NC resolves that:1. The NC encourages the Board and ICANN staff
> to  ensure that reasonable time is allowed in future for
> constituencies to consider issues and to resolve differences;
>
> 2. The NC requests the Board to match the Verisign offer to provide
> $100,000 to fund DNSO/NC secretariat support.

Morning,

I support (1.) ... indeed I think it is essential more time be granted
for constituencies to consider the issues.  Let us support the ICANN
Board and Staff by urging that there is a published timetable for
considering work items.  For example, if Verisgn HAD to present their
draft agreement 2 months before the Melbourne meeting, else it would be
deferred until the Stockholm meeting) it would have given all of us more
time to establish the policy areas of consensus and where additional
work was necessary. Let's suggest a time schedule......

As for (2).  I feel uncomfortable asking for $100,000 from ICANN to fund
DNSO/NC secretariat. It runs the risk of the NC distancing itself from
the community we are here to serve.  The DNSO is just one of three
Supporting organizations and if the other two supporting organizations
can raise the funds themselves, then possibly the NC would be better
asking its community.  Question from sponsors will be asked about the
role of the DNSO/NC which will make us more accountable and focused to
our community and keeps us in touch with the real policy issues..... on
which consensus can be built.
I would suggest a press release (with quotes from Board members)
promoting the DNSO/NC and soliciting sponsorship making clear it is a
no-strings donation.... (but possibly we should have a web site for
"logos" saying these organizations have generously donated to the DNSO
for the benefit of the global internet community (with the amount
given).

Best

Paul