From: owner-council@dnso.org [mailto:owner-council@dnso.org]On Behalf Of
Erica Roberts
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 3:02 PM
To: Cochetti, Roger
Cc: council@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [council] Fw: [ga] Re: Last minute changes to Verisign
agreements

I think Milton has already expressed my sentiments - the key to ensuring
adequate consultation is EARLY consultation.  I would like to have been made
aware of the concerns of ICANN staff  about the 1999 Agreement before
negotiations with Verisign were begun - rather than after they were
complete.  Then I would have been satisfied that the consultations were
conducted in good faith - rather than simply aimed at supporting a fait
accompli.
However, the key now relates to the future. Gven the disagreement of what
constititues 'adequate consultation', it is clear that we need clarification
and some form of Standard Operating Procedure which provides just such a
clarification.

Finally, re the recognition of an issue as a 'policy issue'.  You say:
. Regarding a new procedure that you propose -- under which the Council
> would recognize any topic to be a matter of policy if two or more DNSO
> Constituencies asserted that it was -- needs to be carefully thought
> through.  Since the threshold for declaring any topic to be a matter of
> policy would be set so low under your proposal, it is not hard to see how
it
> could lead to abuses
I cant agree with you on this.  If any constituency as a whole considers
that an issue haas signifcant policy implications, I think we should take
that very seriously.  The different constituencies are, after all, made up
of stakeholders with different interests.  And any one constituency may have
a legitimate concern which doesnot impact on the interests of stakeholders
from other constituencies.  However, to avoid vexacious and irresponsible
behaviour by any one constituency, I suggested that at least two
constituencies must agree that an issue has policy implication.  I would
hesitate to suggest that we need to protect ourselves against simultaneous
vexacvious and irresponsible behaviour by two DNSO constituencies.  Tho
perhaps you are wiser (but more cynical!) than me.
I would be interested to hear the views of others.

erica