[council]

Re: [council] Facts about the status of ORG

Milton Mueller wrote:

> In the discussion of the new ORG proposal, I am surprised by the
> inaccuracy of many comments regarding the status of the ORG Top-level
> domain, both within the proposed agreement, and in the press.
>
> There is a widespread perception that ORG was "originally intended"
> to be restricted to non-profit organizations. That is not now and
> has never been true.
>
> ORG's status is mentioned in only two Internet RFCs, 920 (1984) and
> 1591 (1994). Here is the sum total of what they say about it:
>
> RFC 920:
> "ORG  =  Organization, any other domains meeting the second level
> requirements."
>
> RFC 1591:
> "ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for
> organizations that didn't fit anywhere else.  Some non-government
> organizations may fit here.
>
> It is indisputable that ORG was "originally intended" to be nothing
> more or less than a catch-all for registrants that didn't neatly fit
> in the other categories. The term "non-profit" never appears in
> any discussions.

Milton,

What you say is "indisputable" as a matter of history is directly
contrary to the authoritative RFC (1591) on the question, which you cite
only a few lines above your claim of indisputability.

RFC 1591 says that .org "is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for
organizations that didn't fit anywhere else."  Note the word
"organizations"--that's a lot different than all "registrants".  Note
also that it is intended only for those organizations that don't fit in
the other TLDs.  That includes .com, which RFC 1591 says "is intended
for commercial entities, that is companies."  In other words, the class
of registrants for which .org was intended, according to RFC 1591, is no
broader than non-commercial organizations (they weren't supposed to be
edu-qualified or net-qualified, either).  In my mind, that is quite
close to non-profit organizations (though admittedly there are a lot of
"non-profit" commercial organizations these days :]], so maybe the term
"non-profit organization" should be replaced with the narrower term
"non-commercial organization").

> It is also a historical fact that during the great domain rush of 1995-6,
> IANA (Jon Postel) specifically authorized Network Solutions to cease
> attempting to discriminate between COM, NET and ORG domain applications.
> Although there is no written record of this decision that I know of, it has
> been independently confirmed by people who were working at NSI and at NSF
> at the time. To alter that decision would constitute a significant policy
> change in the current environment, given the large number of people who
> have registered in ORG under the assumption that it is basically an open
> space.

You are correct that the .org restrictions have not been enforced since
1996.  For some background on why enforcement was stopped, see Chuck
Gomes' note from March 2000, copied at the bottom of this message.  In
the light of the lack of resources to enforce, it is gratifying that
many people in the Internet community have acted with restraint in
continuing to observe the stated restrictions on a voluntary basis.

I have previously advised (see
<http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc04/msg00899.html>) the Names
Council of my opinion, as ICANN General Counsel, that the future
restrictions (if any) on .org appear to involve a significant change in
substantive policy that should, under Article VI, Section 2(c) of the
ICANN bylaws, be referred to the DNSO in the event that the VeriSign
proposal is accepted.  If the matter is referred, the DNSO will likely
want to consider a variety of views, including those of many in the
non-commercial community who whould like to see .org decommercialized.
But (speaking personally here) I would hope that any move to once again
begin enforcing the .org restrictions is done in a manner that
reasonably protects the legitimate expectations of the existing
registrants.

Louis