[council]

[council] Re: Facts about the status of ORG

on 4/03/01 21:32, Milton Mueller at mueller@syr.edu wrote:

> In the discussion of the new ORG proposal, I am surprised by the inaccuracy of
> many comments regarding the status of the ORG Top-level domain, both within
> the proposed agreement, and in the press.
>
> There is a widespread perception that ORG was "originally intended" to be
> restricted to non-profit organizations. That is not now and has never been
> true.
>
> ORG's status is mentioned in only two Internet RFCs, 920 (1984) and 1591
> (1994). Here is the sum total of what they say about it:
>
> RFC 920:
> "ORG  =  Organization, any other domains meeting the second level
> requirements."
>
> RFC 1591:
> "ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for organizations that
> didn't fit anywhere else.  Some non-government organizations may fit here.
>
> It is indisputable that ORG was "originally intended" to be nothing more or
> less than a catch-all for registrants that didn't neatly fit in the other
> categories. The term "non-profit" never appears in any discussions.
>
> It is also a historical fact that during the great domain rush of 1995-6, IANA
> (Jon Postel) specifically authorized Network Solutions to cease attempting to
> discriminate between COM, NET and ORG domain applications. Although there is
> no written record of this decision that I know of, it has been independently
> confirmed by people who were working at NSI and at NSF at the time. To alter
> that decision would constitute a significant policy change in the current
> environment, given the large number of people who have registered in ORG under
> the assumption that it is basically an open space.
-
I support completely Milton.
OPEN SPACE and no preliminary restriction. Many IDNH and businesses are
already in also and the notion of not-for-profit or non-commercial for this,
is perfectly subjective.
DV
-

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ncdnhc-discuss as: vandrome@renater.fr

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme@renater.fr |  FRANCE