Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:18:56 -0500
From:         "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@NETSOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: network solutions new pitch.

The topic of RFC 1591 guidelines for .NET and .ORG registrations was
talked about many months ago, but it might be helpful to restate some
points in that regard.

In the first part of 1996, NSI was still attempting to enforce the RFC
1591 guidelines with regard to .NET and .ORG second-level domain name
registrations. Unfortunately, checking for compliance had to be done
manually, thereby making the response time much slower.  This was
compounded by the rapid growth of .NET and .ORG registrations.  In
addition, we found this: in attempting to ensure compliance with the
guidelines, we found ourselves penalizing those who were honest and
rewarding those who were willing to lie.  If someone said they were
an Internet service provider, we took their word for it,
understanding that the definition of an Internet service provider was
becoming increasingly blurred and that it would be extremely
difficult to investigate claims made by applicants.  A similar problem
existed with .ORG, determining whether or not an organization was
not-for-profit.

In light of these issues, we consulted with the IANA (Jon Postel).  Jon
specifically recommended that we stop screening for compliance and
instead rely on registrants to choose the appropriate TLD.  We then
followed Jon's recommendation.

The point here is not to blame the change on Jon but rather to
communicate that it was not a unilateral decision by NSI.  The
decision was made in consultation with the IANA and was made to deal
with specific problems experienced when implementing the RFC 1591
guidelines.  As others have pointed out, the Internet has changed
drastically since RFC 1591 was written.  The changes related to
.NET and .ORG domain name registrations are eamples of dealing
with some of those changes.

To date, NSI still attempts to enforce RFC 1591 guidelines with regard
to .EDU registrations.  That has become increasingly difficult as the
number of registrations have grown.  Moreover, registrants are
typically very dissatisfied with the response times because the
requests have to be processed manually.  Fortunately, the number
of .EDU  second-level registrations still does not come close to the
number of .NET and .ORG registrations in 1996.

Chuck Gomes