when Philip included this item in the LA NC agenda.

From: "YJ Park" <yjpark@myepark.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 02:12:19 +0800

2. The Boundary should be pre-articulated before we discuss Whois

    There have been many worries on ICANN's mission creep and this might
    be a critical moment that ICANN should establish a line of demarcation.

    Therefore, I would like to suggest that this committee should describe
    its methodology which will prevent ICANN's unconscious or conscious
    governance expansion.

    Plus, NCC also want to work in this committee with the same condition.

This has been the most ambiguous project
some of NC have been working on out of blue.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Therefore, before NC discussion table in LA,
it would be of great help for NC to be updated on
    - whether "WHOIS" is one of Names Council projects
    - if so, how this project has been initiated
    - who are in the WHOIS committee
    - who are the secretariat of the WHOIS committee
    - what's the mission and responsibilities of this so-called "WHOIS"
committee

> I believe the WHOIS committee report is to be published on the ICANN site
before
> the LA meeting.
>
> The secretariate of the WHOIS committee will be making a presentation and
> member of the GAC has asked to address us.

Let me clarify things here once again.
As we have seen the undesirable happenings in Regland Lawsuit,
NC has to make sure the following process.

When NC is expected to present its position outside NC,
the formal NC position or consensus needs clear confirmation that
NC has to full and general discussion in either teleconferences or
physical regular meetings to decide whether NC is going to agree
upon some specific issues and positions such as WHOIS here.

> If there are no objections, I look forward to their presentations and the
> following debate.

Yes, please.

> We need to decide how best we can obtain input from interested
constituencies so
> the NC can propose clarifications to the position/requirement for
WHOIS....

This will be discussed in the constituency meeting and if you want
you can give a brief presentation regarding this during the NCC meeting.

> Looking forward to an interesting meeting
>
> See you in LA ...

See you soon...

YJ