[council]

RE: [council] Proxies

Kathy:

As you may recall, we covered this ground in detail when the NCC revised its
Bylaws earlier this year.  I then gave you my unambiguous opinion that
(under the current bylaws) the seating of temporary proxies from outside the
Names Council is not permitted.

A few citations from Article VI-A, Section 2:

"(a) The NC shall consist of representatives, selected in accordance with
Section 3(c) of this Article, from each Constituency recognized by the Board
pursuant to the criteria set forth in Section 3 of this Article."

"(f) Unless shortened by the Board in its recognition of a Constituency, the
term of office for each member of the NC shall be two years."

And from Section 3:

"(c) Each Constituency shall select up to three individuals to represent
that Constituency on the NC, no two of whom may be citizens of the same
Geographic Region, as defined in Article V, Section 6,  . . ."

Thus, each constituency is allowed to choose 3 members of the NC -- and not
more than 3.  NC members must be chosen according to the rules of the
constituency.  The NCC has elected you, not Dori, to be one of its three NC
members (nothing personal against Dori -- but she wasn't elected).  Under
the current rules, the only way for Dori to serve on the NC would be for you
to resign and the NC to choose her through its internal procedures.

To the extent the NC accepts proxy voting in Yokohama, you can give your
proxy to another NC member.

--Andrew

andrew mclaughlin           |    chief policy officer & cfo
internet corporation for assigned names and numbers
<mclaughlin@icann.org>  |     <http://www.icann.org>