[council]

Re: [council] Please make comments on

To All:
I am glad that YJ has started the ball rolling on the agenda.  I think she
has an important point that we need to circulate the NC agenda to the GA and
our own constituencies in advance, so that we can get their input and better
frame our positions.  I also think that YJ was not aware of the US national
holiday... :-)

I also want to express strong endorsement for inclusion of YJ's point number
4 about relations between the WGs and the Names Council and how these
relations have been hurt by the NC resolution about the WG-C proposal.
Whether we like it or not, the NC resolution has created tremendous bad
feeling.

YJ is in a unique position to comment on this bad feeling as she is co-chair
of the WG-E on outreach.  If people do not feel that their voices are being
heard, they will not spend the months and thousands of email messages to
engage in the substantive debate of the Working groups.

It is Extremely Important that this discussion take place at the NC meeting.
That it has been initiated from outside the US and from co-chair of the
Outreach Committee, alone, makes it important.  That it is an important issue
that runs to the working framework of the DNSO and the NC/WG relationship is
additional rationale.

I also do not think that we are so far from the "self-reflection" that Ken
proposed in his email.  This discussion can open that self reflection
process.  I have placed the two proposals below.  I look forward to this
discussion.

Kathy Kleiman

YJ Proposed:

> 4.The relations between WGs and Names Council
>     based upon responses from WG-C.
>     1430 - 1530

Ken Proposed:

<<after almost 2 years of DNSO operation I feel it would be a good idea for
the names council to consider a little "self reflection" and take a close
look at how we can make this body which represents such a diverse set of
interests sharing a universal commonality  more efficient and effective in
the future.