[council]

[council] [FYI] MINC has been launched in Seoul on June 12.

Dear Council,

I would like to inform that Multiligual Internet Names Consortium
(MINC) has been launched in Seoul on June 12 announcing
its Interim Board and press release by 11 founding members.

Feeling sorry that there have been little chance to discuss this
multiligual Internet Name issues in details earlier due to pending
issues such as Working Group B/C reports on the table, I hope
this is not too late to bring up to the council.

According to the MINC's concept paper which has been
agreed upon during the APRICOT, MINC shall cooperate with
ICANN together with other relevant organizations such as IETF.

As a member of Name Council of DNSO/ICANN and
Interim Board of MINC, I would like to commit myself to
enhancing communications between those two organizations.

Taking opportunity of this, I would like to make sure MINC will
contribute to overcoming the digital divide caused by language
barrier and eliminating balkanization of the Internet against
some worries from outside.

-------
The consortium shall cooperate with the relevant global and
regional organizations such as IETF, W3C, ICANN, Unicode,
IEEE, ISO, and ITU.  (Quote from the concept paper)
-------

Some of you remember the wg-c's consensus call, which first
announced on 11 April 2000, Tuesday and the result was posted
on 17 April 2000, Monday. According to it, there have been
slight discussion on "Multilingual Internet Names, which was item 3.

--------
Item 3: WG-C recommends that the Names Council charter
a working group to develop policy regarding internationalized
domain names using non-ASCII characters.
--------

Even though the result was almost evenly divided into three,
Yes, No, Abstain to form, I would like to propose once again
that the demand to form a working group be mature enough
within the DNSO/ICANN.

Regards,

YJ Park

[Appendix 1] : The Result of WG-C's consensus call

YES: Crocker, Lee, Love, Broomfield, Dixon, Denton, Linares, Winer, Yap,
Shrewsbury, Becar, Dawson, Penman, Stubbs, Connelly, Tan, Park, Kang,
Kozlowski

NO: Ambler, Brunner, Alvestrand, Auerbach, Connolly, Langston, Mueller,
Walsh, Rader, Kelsey, Sheppard, Campbell, Vienneau, Kamantauskas, Elliott,
Gymer, Greenwell, Joshi, Chon, Vestal, Simon, Schuckman, Teernstra, Renard,
Winter, Kroon, Cade, Wesson, Lubsen, Dalgleish, Semich, Porteneuve, Winer

ABSTAIN: Fausett, Seng, McCarthy, Tamulione, Parker, Feld, Higgs, Schutt,
Schwimmer, Graehl, Rindforth, Lupo, Echeberria, Iriarte, A.-C. Andersson,
A. Andersson, Garvey

[Appendix 2] : Interim Board of MINC

Sang Hyon Kyong  shkyong@kgsm.kaist.ac.kr  KAIST/KRNIC
Hualin Qian hlqian@cnnic.net.cn  CNNIC