Re: [council] suggested draft resolution for today's NC call

<< The Names Council hereby proposes to recommend to the ICANN Board
 (a) to promote the orderly registration of names;
**** (b) to minimise the use of any new TLD to carry out infringements of
 intellectual property rights (taking into consideration WG B's report);
******
 (c) to ensure consumer confidence in the technical operation of the new TLD
and
 the DNS as a whole. >>

As I mentioned in my earlier message, I think we are jumping the gun on the
WG-B report and not giving Michael Palage, Philip or the others of WG-B
credit for the tremendous amount of work that has taken place in and among WG
members in the last few weeks.  The US Small Business Admin. held two
roundtables; any number of calls were made; a formal report was written.

I am sorry that the NC resolution of Cairo was misunderstood by the scribe
and the ICANN staff, but really, we did allow until this week for the WG-B to
come -- and it is now here.  So, as Caroline has written, I would separate
our consideration of consensus items and limit our review and our resolution
to WG-C issues.  We will then meet again after the WG-B comment period and
have all our resolutions to ICANN by mid-May!

regards, kathy
<<
 The Names Council hereby proposes to recommend to the ICANN Board that it
 establish a policy for the introduction of new TLDs in a measured and
 responsible manner, giving due regard in the implementation of that policy