RE: [council] Proxy

Dear Axel & NC members:

I should point out that the Names Council does not have any proxy mechanism
in place which would allow non-NC members to participate in NC meetings.
The NC could develop such a policy if it chooses, but has not done so.  The
NC has several times allowed proxy voting through other members of the NC;
and on one occasion (the election of ICANN Directors), the NC adopted a
voting procedure that allowed non-NC members to cast proxy votes, pursuant
to instructions from the missing member.  That procedure was specific to the
election of ICANN Directors.

I have given similar advice to the Non-Commercial Constituency, which asked
about the election of "alternate" members to the NC;  I advised that the NC
doesn't have any policy in place which would allow non-NC alternates on a
standing basis.  In general, it's my reading of the Bylaws that each
constituency is allowed to elect only three NC representatives, not six
(including alternates).

I hesitate to say that this is a matter that the NC ought to put on its
agenda, because (in my view) there are a number of more important issues
that the NC ought to make progress on before getting bogged down in
proxy/alternate policies.  In any event, it's up to the NC to decide.

Sorry you won't be able to join us!  I'm in Cairo already, and the city is
magnificent.

--Andrew

andrew mclaughlin            |   c.f.o. and senior adviser
internet corporation for assigned names and numbers
<mclaughlin@icann.org>   |    <http://www.icann.org>