Re: [council] Emergency Reminder about the GA's Chair nomination procedures

This message and any attachments are intended for the individual or entity
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also please notify the
sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.
Thank you.

With apologies in advance to those who think I should keep my opinions to
myself, and clearly labeling this as my personal opinion, I don't
understand how this suggestion necessarily captures the "high ground."  It
is the NC, not the GA, which is responsible for managing the DNSO process
in a way that acheives consensus if such is possible on a particular issue.
The GA has no independent role or existence under the ICANN bylaws, but is
simply one of the structures of the DNSO that the NC is free to use to the
extent the NC believes it appropriate to carry out its responsibilities.
Therefore, the logic follows, what the NC should do on this specific issue,
and all others, is whatever it believes will be most productive in carrying
out the tasks assigned to it by the ICANN bylaws.  This does not prescribe
any particular approach, but it does mean that the "high ground" is
whatever the NC believes is best suited to carrying out its
responsibilities to manage the consensus development process -- which may
or may not coincide with the majority or even the "consensus" of those
participating on the GA list.

KathrynKL@aol.com on 11/24/99 04:02:31 PM
Extension: