[council] GA Chair Nominations.DOC

Dear fellow NCers:

In reading over the different proposals, I noted that there are numerous
consistencies and similarities, which in the interest of getting
discussion focused and done for a posting on Friday, I've outlined below
(I have included the text at the bottom of this email, as well as an
attached Word version of same.).  I have done my utmost to include all
suggestions where feasible, but you are all encouraged to review the
proposals yourselves to confirm that I have not missed something or that
I have not excluded an idea which you feel has potential.

For the sake of expediency, I suggest that we use this as a basis for
discussion, focusing on substantive points that are
needed to improve the procedures. Also, the suggestion of a 'poll
watching' group has been raised by several of the submitters, and in
light of Kathy and Raul comments, I have suggested that a group be
established at least initially consisting of those who submitted the
proposals (of course we would need to confirm that these individuals
accept such a responsibility first). Where I need the most help and
input is in the area of this poll watching group.  Ideally, if you can
suggest language that I can cut and paste into my document, it would be
greatly appreciated.

TIMETABLE: I need your comments by Friday, November 26th at 12:00 pm
U.S. Central Standard Time (CST) (1 pm New York time), so I have time to
turn it around and give it to Elisabeth no later than 4pm CST.

Nomination Procedures for the Chair of the General Assembly (GA)

1.	The nominations period shall take place starting November 26,
1999 at 18:00 Central European Time (CET) through 16:00 CET, December 2,
1999.

2.	Any member of the GA may make a nomination.

A member of the GA shall be any natural person who at the time of the
nomination (or endorsement as set forth below) is:
		(a)	subscribed to the GA or GA-announce lists;
		(b)	subscribed to a working group list; or
		(c)	a member of a DNSO Constituency.
		Note:  A person with multiple email addresses is only
counted once.

3.	Nominations should be emailed to the DNSO Secretariat at the
following email address:  [Elisabeth, please fill in].  The nomination
should include at least the following information:
		(a)	the name and email address of the nominee,
		(b)	the name and email address of the nominator, and
		(c)	type of GA membership (i.e., GA subscriber,
GA-announce subscriber, Working Group subscriber, or DNSO Constituency
member).
4.	Any nominee has until 16:00 CET on December 2, 1999 in which to
accept the nomination.  Acceptances should be emailed to the DNSO
Secretariat at the following email address: [Elisabeth, please fill in]
and should include at least the following information:
		(a)	the name and email address of the nominee,
		(b)	background information about the nominee, and
		(c)	a statement of the nominee's objectives in the
role as Chair of the GA (including his or her views of the role of the
GA and its relationship with the Names Council and Constituencies of the
DNSO).
		A list of the accepted nominees shall be posted at the
following email address no later than 24:00 CET on December 2, 1999
[Elisabeth, please fill in].
5.	Starting at 17:00 CET, December 2, 1999 and up until 16:00 CET
on December 7, 1999, any member of the GA may endorse their support for
any of the accepted nominees.  Endorsements should be emailed to the
DNSO Secretariat at the following email address:  [Elisabeth, please
fill in].  The endorsement should include at least the following
information:
		(1)	the name and email address of the endorser; and
		(2)	the name of the accepted nominee he or she
wishes to endorse.
		Specific statements of endorsements (i.e., how you know
the nominee and why you believe he or she would make a good GA Chair)
may also be submitted and are encouraged.  Members of the GA may endorse
as many accepted nominees as they wish, but may only endorse any given
accepted nominee once.  While the Names Council will consider the number
of endorsements for each accepted nominee as valuable input into the
selection process, given the potential for abuse in an online process,
such numbers will not be definitive.
6.	All accepted nominees that receive 10 or more endorsements by
16:00 CET on December 7, 1999 shall be forwarded to the Names Council
for selection.
7.	A nomination watchdog committee shall be formed to police the
nomination process to help detect and cure any instances of fraudulent
activity in connection with the nomination process.  The committee shall
consists of the authors of the nominations procedures proposals
submitted to the GA, which includes Jonathan Weinberg, Kent Crispin,
Javier Rodriguez, Roberto Gaetano and Bradley Thorton.  Any instances of
fraudulent nominations or endorsements should be reported to this
committee at the following email address:  [Elisabeth, fill in], with a
copy to the Names Council at council@dnso.org.  This committee and the
Names Council shall have the sole discretion as to how to deal with any
such reported activity.

GA Chair Nominations.DOC