[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [council] Post-election steps
While I tend to agree with Nigel, can the record indicate not only the
results of each ballot, but details of exactly what happened with ballot
9 and 10 and how we resolved the problem. IMHO, I think we came to a
fair resolution under the circumstances and feel no need to "hide"
behind our decision.
From: Nigel Roberts [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 7:35 PM
To: Richard Lindsay; email@example.com
Subject: Re: [council] Post-election steps
This is a very good question and one which needs to be addressed now.
> 2. Elisabeth brought up the issue of whether we should release the
> voting for the ballots that were never completed, or were voided by
I certainly have an opinion here. There are two options.
1. Secret ballot. No results at all of who voted for whom
2. Open ballot. The entire workings of the election are
open and transparent to all to see. This would includes the rounds
which was voided due to the miscount.
We have decided already that 1. was not to be used. [1 is my
Therefore we must take option 2.
I don't like it. It makes us look silly.
But it is the only way.
On past form if we try to keep it secret someone will leak it
> 3. How does the delay in results affect your timeline below?
> Are we now the "non provisional Names Council?" Obviously we
> want to do step 2 and 3 on the next teleconference, but we don't have
> enough time to announce one for this week I fear. We discussed
> next week, around the 27th, would this be too late?
> Fellow Names Council members, I don't mean to be presumptive,
> but think we definitely need to address these issues as soon as
> Best regards (and goodnight...)
> Andrew McLaughlin wrote:
> > To the Names Council:
> > In anticipation of the conclusion of the voting process for ICANN
> > seats, I want to outline the next set of steps that will be
> > formalize and finalize the results, and to make permanent the status
> > (still) provisional Names Council.
> > STEP 1: Final recognition of Names Council and DNSO constituency
> > ICANN Board
> > DATE: Monday, 18 October
> > EXPLANATION: The Board granted provisional recognition to the Names
> > and DNSO constituency groups in Berlin. As the Board's Berlin
> > stated, the provisional Names Council will perform all of the
> > the permanent Names Council, except for the election of ICANN
> > The Board expects to formally act on all pending constituency group
> > applications and on the final recognition of the Names Council on
> > October.
> > STEP 2: Ratification of the NC election results by permanent NC
> > DATE: Week of 18 October
> > EXPLANATION: Following the Board's vote to grant final recognition
> > Names Council, the (non-provisional) Names Council must then take
> > step of ratifying the results of this week's election process. This
> > essentially a formality, necessitated by the sequence of (i)
> > process, followed by (ii) final recognition.
> > STEP 3: Formal notification to ICANN
> > DATE: 22 October
> > EXPLANATION: The act of notification triggers the 7-day period
> > the DNSO's choices will formally join the ICANN Board. In order to
> > that all three Supporting Organization directors are seated on the
> > date -- in other words, to ensure that the three Supporting
> > are treated identically, despite their differing election processes
> > schedules -- ICANN requests that all three SOs transmit their formal
> > notifications to ICANN on 22 October. A common notification date
> > for a smooth and uniform transition to the new ICANN Board.
> > Let me know if you have any questions.