[council] Reminder: voting mecanism, NC voting telecons, Oct 11 - Oct 15.

Dear Council Members,

This is a reminder about the election mecanism.

Please note that you will vote during a serie of NC telecon,
and make yourselves availables for the week October 11 - October 15:
         NC Teleconference, Oct 11 - Oct 15, 1999, 2 hours, begins:
         Reference (Coordinated Universal Time)     UTC         13:00
         California, USA                            UTC-8+1DST   6:00
         Missouri, USA                              UTC-6+1DST   8:00
         Washington DC, USA                   (EST) UTC-5+1DST   9:00
         Ottawa, Canada                             UTC-5+1DST   9:00
         Santiago, Chile                            UTC-4+0DST   9:00
         Montevideo, Uruguay                        UTC-3+0DST  10:00
         Buenos Aires, Argentina                    UTC-3+0DST  10:00
         Dublin, Ireland                            UTC+0+1DST  14:00
         Brussels, Belgium                    (CET) UTC+1+1DST  15:00
         Barcelona, Spain                     (CET) UTC+1+1DST  15:00
         Madrid, Spain                        (CET) UTC+1+1DST  15:00
         Frankfurt, Germany                   (CET) UTC+1+1DST  15:00
         Paris, France                        (CET) UTC+1+1DST  15:00
         Seoul, Korea                               UTC+9+0DST  22:00
         Tokyo, Japan                               UTC+9+0DST  22:00
         For other places see http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

The next NC telecon bridge is kindly provided by Theresa Swinehart.

Here is the number for the calls starting Monday, October 11th - 15th,
for the NC voting to the ICANN Board. All calls are scheduled for
9:00 EST (15:00 Central European Time, 22:00 Japan/Korea), and for 2 hours.

    Number is:  XXXXXXXXX censored
    Passcode is XXXXXXXXX censored

The phone number for voice votes during the NC teleconferences
next week is:
   XXXXXXXXX censored (Elisabeth Porteneuve)

The IRC server will be provided by Berkman Center.
  |The channel I've set up for you is now accessible via
  |<XXXXXXXX censored>.  The system isn't as
  |elegant, streamlined, or "slick" as I would have liked, but given the time
  |constraints (a day) and budget (none) I think it should be adequate.  Give
  |it a try, following instructions carefully, and I think you'll find it
  |usable; if not, or if particular changes would make the system more helpful,
  |let me know and I'll see what I can do.
  |
  |The password required for joining the channel is XXXXXXXXX censored
  |
  |This password is completely confidential -- no other Berkman staff know it,
  |and I won't monitor the chat unless you ask me to do so.  However, anyone
  |with that password can indeed join the chat, so you should be careful to
  |keep it a secret!  Finally, I don't currently intend to keep a log of the
  |chat; if you want a log to be created, please let me know so I can arrange
  |as much.
  |

  |Ben Edelman
  |Berkman Center for Internet and Society
  |Harvard Law School

[from http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/NCelection.html]

ICANN/DNSO

           The election mechanism to be used by the Names Council
                      to elect the ICANN Board members

Version updated with resolutions of the NC meeting held on September 30th
regarding prelimiary round.

The Names Council resolved to use a
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/conventionstyle.html Convention-Style voting
procedure to elect three ICANN Board members.

The DNSO secretariat will keep votes secret untill the end of election
period, and at the end make all records public.

According to the current nominations, it is expected that the initial list
of nominees will have candidates from all 5 regions.

Convention-Style Voting adapted to the DNSO conditions.

  1. Preliminary round via email.

     The purpose of the preliminary round is to learn (practice of voting
     procedure by the NC) and to show relative preferences between nominees.
     It was resolved that no candidates will be be eliminated in the
     preliminary round.

     Each member of the NC cast 3 votes, for different nominees.

     The geographic diversity (GD) is not taken into account at this stage.

     Time:

           Begins: Saturday October 9, 18:00 CET
           Ends:   Sunday October 10, 18:00 CET

           (was Ends: Monday October 11, 14:00 CET, modified by the
            NCtelecon Oct 5th)

     19 voting NC members, 3 votes each, 57 total.

        * the secretariat emails a ballot to each NC member, along with a
          deadline for the ballot to be received;
        * each NC member emails his/her vote back to the secretariat;
        * the secretariat tallies the votes;

     The results will be given within one hour after the close of the
     preliminary round, and will allow NC members to discuss strategies
     before the begginig of the NC telecon.

  2. Election of the first candidate, 3 years term at the ICANN Board.

     Each NC member votes for one nominee.

     First round during the NC telecon:

           Begins: Monday October 11, 15:00 CET
           Ends:   Monday October 11, 17:00 CET

        * during the telecon the secretariat emails a ballot to each NC
          member, and gives by phone all nominees;
        * each NC member emails his/her vote back to the secretariat; those
          of NC members who cannot email during the telecon, call the
          special phone number provided by the secretariat and give their
          choice;
        * the nominees are ranked by the number of votes received, and the
          NC is informed of the result;
        * the lowest vote-getting nominee is eliminated from the list; [For
          the first round, all nominees receiving zero votes *and* the
          lowest vote-getting nominee are eliminated from the list.]
        * the procedure is repeated with the new (reduced) list;
        * a winner is declared when a nominee receives 10 or more of the
          NC's 19 votes.

     It may happen that after 2 hours of telecon and voting the processus is
     not yet ended. In such a situation the next NC telecon is convened for
     Tuesday October 12, 15:00 CET, and:

        * the secretariat emails a ballot to each NC member, on Monday
          October 11, just after the end of a telecon;
        * each NC member shall emails his/her vote back to the secretariat
          within next 21 hours, and before the Tuesday October 12, 14:00
          CET.

     The voting may continue during the additional NC telecon:

           Begins: Tuesday October 12, 15:00 CET
           Ends:   Tuesday October 12, 17:00 CET

     After the election of the first candidate for 3 years term at the ICANN
     Board, the corresponding geographic region will eliminate some
     candidates from a list of nominees.

     NC members are given 21 hours time for establishing strategies for
     second round.

     *** If the GD is not achieved or the vote is deadlocked, because there
     are no nominees who have received 10 affirmative votes, the NC will
     elect only as many ICANN Board members as possible, and the NC will
     issue an additional call for nomination for missing regions ***

  3. Election of the second candidate, 2 years term at the ICANN Board.

     Each NC member votes for one nominee.

     Second round.

        * just after the end of the first round the secretariat emails a
          ballot to each NC member with reduced list of nominees; (without
          candidates from already elected region)
        * each NC member shall emails his/her vote back to the secretariat
          before the Wednesday October 13, 14:00 CET.

     The second round continue during the NC telecon:

            Begins: Wednesday October 13, 15:00 CET
            Ends:   Wednesday October 13, 17:00 CET

     with exactly the same procedure like for the first round.

     It may happen (very unlikely in the second round) that after 2 hours of
     telecon and voting the processus is not yet ended. In such a situation
     the next NC telecon is convened for Thursday October 14, 15:00 CET,
     and:
        * the secretariat emails a ballot to each NC member, on Wednesday
          October 13, just after the end of a telecon;
        * each NC member shall emails his/her vote back to the secretariat
          within next 21 hours, and before the Thursday October 14, 14:00
          CET.

     The voting may continue during the additional NC telecon:

           Begins: Thursday October 14, 15:00 CET
           Ends:   Thursday October 14, 17:00 CET

     After the election of the second candidate for 2 years term at the
     ICANN Board, the corresponding geographic region will eliminate some
     candidates from a list of nominees.

     NC members are given 21 hours time for establishing strategies for the
     third round.

  4. Election of the third candidate, 1 year term at ICANN Board.

     Each NC member votes for one nominee.

     Third round.

        * just after the end of the second round the secretariat emails a
          ballot to each NC member with reduced list of nominees; (without
          candidates from already elected regions)
        * each NC member shall emails his/her vote back to the secretariat
          before the Friday October 15, 14:00 CET.

     The third round continue during the NC telecon:

           Begins: Friday October 15, 15:00 CET
           Ends:   Friday October 15, 17:00 CET

     with exactly the same procedure like for the first round.

     Summary.

     On Monday we know the result of preliminary round with multiple votes,
     and start the real election of the firts seat. If needed, we schedule
     the vote to continue on Tuesday, at the usual time, and then we allow
     "21 hours" before the election of the first director and the first vote
     on the second. This means that we agree to be availabe on Tuesday
     afternoon during a certain time, in order to cast mulitple rounds, if
     necessary. Be aware that from now on, with one region less (and
     possibly lots of candidates less) things will be faster. Also the fact
     that many people will be uncomfortable voting, say, a IP lawer or a
     ccTLD manager or a registrar if this is the "main affiliation" of the
     first director elected will make things much easier.

     It is not expected that the all members of the NC have the necessary
     software and know how to use chat. The additional telephone line at the
     DNSO secretariat will help those who cannot email votes during the
     telecon, and wish give votes by telephone.

     The chat mechanism, i.e. a mechanism that allows the NC members to be
     online, send mails to the secretariat that nobody else will see, and
     have both public and private discussions would be a helpfull tool for
     the future use.

     The telecon with the nominees shall, if necessary, be held after the
     preliminary vote. In such a situation the Monday telecon is dedicated
     to the discussion with nominees, and all subsequent rounds delayed by
     one day.