[council] Farewell

Dear members of the Names Council,

It has been a pleausure to work with you on the set up of the Names Council.

Before I leave, I would like to say how I see the future of this Council.
The tone may be a little harsh, but I believe it is the best way to put things.

1) I fully agree with Michael that we have spent far too time on procedure
without paying attention to policy matters. We have been too concerned
about ourselves and not that much about what we should be doing as Names
Council: recommending policy.

2) The present work methodology does not lead very far. Most of the work is
done in teleconferences, very little preparation is done outside, leading
to lengthly conversation and future teleconferences. All this is due to the
fact that very little work is actually done by most members of the council,
we wait until teleconferences happen and then (on the phone) ask for
explanations and make up our minds. The only way I see to get actual policy
work done is to work on the documents beforetime, and not during the
teleconferences. It means working more than only during teleconference
time, but the result are clearly superior. Beign a member of the NC is a
responsibility and a compromise on time and work, not an honor.

Best luck,

Javier