RE: [council] Some Observations

Dennis and Michael:

Even though I am merely a temporary participant in the NC for a very
specific purpose, I hope you will allow me to add a few thoughts here.  I
agree with most of your comments below, particularly with the point that
there appears to be a definite improvement in the way the NC is handling
its duties and the manner in which everyone is starting to work together
more coherently,  even in the face of disagreement on certain issues.  I
also share Michael's view (and frustration) that sometimes issues are
repeatedly discussed without much progress being made.  Hopefully, this is
something that will decrease in frequency as people get more and more
accustomed to working together in this fairly unusual manner. Having
participated in the last couple of conference calls, I have every
confidence in all NC members that increasing effort will be made to focus
dialog a bit more both on the phone and on the list, and consequently more
will get done.

I just wanted to mention though, that while Michael is correct in pointing
out that an inordinate amount of time should not be spent on merely
procedural issues, I think they cannot be neglected either.  It may be time
consuming now, but can save a lot headaches, criticism and finger-pointing
later when the NC makes any kind of statement or advises ICANN, and the
legitimacy of the statement or advice is called into question by those who
would allege that they were arrived at through improper methods.  This is
pretty much what happened to WG-A, a situation which we are very mindful of
in WG-B, and are making tremendous efforts to correct.  With WG-A, the
problem was that the group was obliged to begin, carry out and actually
complete its work before any procedures had been discussed or agreed upon.
The fallout from this resulted in attacks on the results of WG-A's work,
which ultimately reflected negatively on the Names Council itself for
having accepted the report and basing its recommendations to ICANN on it.
The "excuse" there of course was, that the WG was forced to get going due
to time constraints from ICANN itself, but as you all know, many people
were less than satisfied with this explanation (although they appeared to
content themselves with criticizing rather than offering constructive
advice).  If anything, enough time has passed now that this explanation can
be relied upon even less, despite the fact that many of the DNSO processes,
 (elections, etc.) continue to be driven by very short deadlines set by
ICANN.

This was just intended to be an observation on my part.  I look forward to
working with you through the elections.

Victoria