RE: [council] Some Observations

____

 This message is intended for the individual or entity named above.  If you
are not the intended
 recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to
others; also please
 notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from
your system.  Thank you.
____

Some comments, if I may, in response to the postings of Dennis and Michael:

These contracts have been posted for public comment; that certainly
includes the DNSO/NC, and the Board would certainly pay appropriate
attention to any comments from the DNSO/NC.  If, however, the rule of
process that is being espoused is that the ICANN Board cannot initiate any
action, and seek comments on it, but must wait for the initiative to arise
from a SO, that is certainly not what is contemplated by the Bylaws, nor
does it seem to me that it is a reasonable rule.  The Board must remain
free to at least raise issues, and perhaps to take tentative actions,
pending review and comments from the relevant SO's and/or the public at
large; the important thing ought to be the opportunity to comment and
influence, not the order in which things are done.

Perhaps more importantly, this is a unique, legacy situation; to generalize
from it is neither required or appropriate.  I will await the effort,
should anyone choose to attempt it, to explain to me how the ICANN/NSI
relationship issue was likely to be resolved, not to mention in a timely
manner, through a bottom-up process originating within the DNSO/NC.  We
have plenty to do to figure out how to make this organization work in a
normalized environment; to spend time or energy on this point, given its
clearly unique characteristics, seems unnecessary.  That being said, I
certainly hope that any of you, individually or in the aggregate, who have
comments to make about the substance of the agreements will make them so
that your views can be considered by the Board.

 (Embedded
 image moved   Dennis Jennings <Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie>
 to file:      10/06/99 05:02 PM
 pic18405.pcx)