[council] Board Election Process - Closure

Colleagues,

I have just caught up on the latest discussions about the Board
election process, and my sense of the discussions is that we have
converged to agreement on the last proposal by Elisabeth (made
after discussions with Javier, Amadeu, Andrew and myself).

I am happy with the process proposed - I think it will probably work
quite well.  I am particularly pleased with the idea of the first round
poll which will give us a sense of the preferences of the Names
Council before we start the election for the first director.  I know
that it is not strictly necessary, but I think it will be very helpful to
the NC in preparation for the first election.

As your (current) Chair, I would like now to close the discussion
and publish the election process.  We will review the election
process briefly at our teleconference tomorrow for clarity, and we
may have further discussion on the list to make sure that the times
of the teleconference, the proposed timescales, etc. will work
reasonably for everyone.

My thanks to everyone for all the inputs - and especially to
Elisabeth for her support.

I'm sure that we will have many interesting discussions about
election processes in the future when we review the results of
these elections.

I know that this whole discussion was rushed and conducted under
pressure (and I have problems with this haste, as you know), and
that some of you feel a bit excluded, especially those who had to
miss the last teleconference.  I sincerely regret this.  However, I do
think the result is reasonable.

I think that appropriate procedures, timescales, etc. for the Names
Council are of paramount importance - for the NC itself and for its
credibility - and we will need to work on these carefully over the
next while.  I will contribute to these discussion as best I can.

Thanks
Dennis
Dennis M. Jennings
Director, Computing Services, University College Dublin.
Address:  Daedalus Building, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
E-mail:  Dennis.Jennings@ucd.ie
Telephone:  +353-(1) 706 7817
Fax:        +353-(1) 706 2362