Re: [council] Some Thoughts on the Elections Process

Nigel Roberts wrote:

> Yes, but the technical electoral problem is simply this:
>
> Where there are 3 Board seats elected by each SO,
> and 5 regions, the output of the election process to the
> ICANN board is /not/ going to be geographically balanced over
> the 5 regions, because at each stage two regions are excluded
> from representation and there is no guarantee at all of overall
> balance of representation.

This is why the proposals for the nine directors elected by the
at-lkartge membership look the way they do, Nigel. It is the only way
to make sure all regions are presnet with at least one member.

> Any such guarantee can only be made by considering the
> make-up of the Board AS A WHOLE not in the sub-components.
>
> And as Amadeu now seems to have confirmed my understanding
> that Dennis is indeed the person co-ordinating the sub-group
> considering these matters, is it too much to ask that this
> discussion take place within that sub-group to which, I am
> sure, all submissions are more than welcome.

Nigel,

The fact that trhee people volunteered to make a formal and complete
proposal before the next teleconf (next Wednesday) does not mean that
the NC is prevented form discussing the issues surrounding the
elctions, or any other. Most specially whhen to days prior to the
teleconf we have not seen any such common and complete proposal, just
individual thoughts. None of them complying with the inital request to
that group: to presnet a simple and workable proposal to elect the
three DNSOP directors in the time scale we are working with.

Looking forward to your news.

Amadeu