RE: [council] Some Thoughts on the Elections Process

Javier,

Thanks - please see my comments below.

On Friday, September 10, 1999 8:16 PM, Javier [SMTP:javier@aui.es] wrote:
> Dennis,

....stuff deleted

> The Names Council should not be involved on how the constituencies reach
> their agreements. It is up to each one of them to see if they want to
> decide on candidates or leave the choice to the Names Council.

My point was to ask whether the Names Council members needed to formally
ask the Constituencies for their guidance on the casting of their votes.

For my own part, I would very much wish to have a period of time to consult
the ccTLD Constituency before casting my votes - I would regard that as my
duty as a ccTLD elected Names Council member - and would expect the process
to give me time to do that.

... stuff deleted

> Having several votes per member (I have proposed three) will probably
solve
> this issue. I case one of the top three candidates does not reach the 50%
> line. A single vote of the Names Council deciding if it sends the name to
> the Board can be used (if it receives the support of 50% of the NC).
>
> We shoult try to avoid having to repeat elections because of this clause.

I have no idea if this works or is fair.  Maybe you are right.  However, I
suggest that we use a proven fair method, and get expert advice on this
issue.

... stuff deleted

> Most constituencies have an election system that always yields three
> candidates from different regions, such as the one that I have proposed
for
> this case. It does need a mechanism to support the 50% affirmative vote
> rule, but it is only a couple more sentences.

My point was that the rules (as I read them) do NOT require a
geographically diverse outcome of these particular DNSO elections.

The Names Council could decide that a geographically diverse outcome is
required - and make this explicit.  But it needs to decide this, not just
assume it.  It also needs to make sure that this decision is supported by
the Constituencies and the ICANN Board.

Dennis