Re: [wg-e] Translations

> #1 In what languages do you feel the ICANN web site, election ballots, and
> other materials should be translated?  Please order your list of languages
> in priority.  Also, I will assume that if you list only one language then
> you feel that is all ICANN needs to do.  If, on the other hand, you list
> five or 10 or 15 languages, then I will take it that you feel that is the
> number of languages which ICANN must cover.

English, Spanish, Arabic, and Japanese.

> #2 How do you believe that translation of the web site and other materials
> should occur?  If you believe it must be done by a commercial translation
> company, please provide any details on a company you know or feel would be
> productive.  If youbelieve it can be done fast enough and with sufficient
> quality by volunteers, please give specifics about how such a volunteer
> system could work over say the next 12 months.  If you believe there are
> non-profit or even government organizations that would be the best resources
> to utilize, please give details what organizations, what officers, what
> locations and so forth you have in mind.

The prime languages (above) should be done professionally if the budget allows.  Establish a network with colleges/universities to
develop volunteer efforts to translate from prime languages into others.  Ask the ccTLD administrators for recommendations about local
translators.  Appoint one person to be the central contact for all translation activity.

> #3 I understand that ICANN feels a legal concern/obligation to ensure that
> translations are certifiably correct.  By what means do you suggest this
> kind of "verification of accuracy" occur?  Do you have or do you know others
> who have experience in this matter?  (On this particular point I am going to
> ask a colleague, Francis Gurry at  WIPO if he has any suggestions.)

The suggestion was made in Cairo to simply preface volunteer translations by the term "Gist" (if I heard it correctly) which indicates
that the text is not official.  ICANN can have a list of links to any and all "unofficial" translations" as long as the targeted page
includes the translator's identity and contact information.

Diane Cabell
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School