Re: [wg-d] Fwd: Draft Report to the NC regarding interim measures

"2)  Seek to encourage participation by all interested parties by seeking
to limit the list members' posts per day (say, to two).  This could have two
beneficial effects.  First, it would cut down on the volume, and allow
people to participate in WG-C without having it take over their lives.
Second, list members faced with this limitation might take care to make
their two posts per day count - leaving unimportant or tangential things
unsaid, and concentrating on making substantive comments on the main
issues before the group. **"

I still maintain that this would be better served through strong moderation
than through limiting posts. Speaking personally, I know for a fact that I
have flown off the handle and posted inappropriately to the list. However,
a) this does not constitute the majority of my activity and b) has never
been flagged as an issue by the remainder of the group. For the most part, I
like to think that I present well-thought out positions that the rest of the
group can evaluate and agree or disagree with. I submit that the WG-C
mailing list is exactly like any other volunteer, committee position - if
you didn't understand the demands that it takes on your time beforehand,
then you can expect that it will likely take up too much of your time. If
this is the case, those affected by the demands have the option of resigning
from the group, leaving the work to people that are better prepared. The
work that this group is doing is extremely important and participation must
be all or none. For those that do not wish that it takes over their lives
are welcomed as observers and have full access to the archives.

It must be said that I feel very strongly about my position in this regard.

-Ross