Re: [wg-d] Working Group Membership

On 17 August 1999, Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com> wrote:

>> >Again, under VI-B 2(b), it says pretty clearly that working groups are
>> >"bodies of the GA".  As such, it seems to me that it's either up to
>> >the GA to say or, alternatively, that the door is open to anyone who
>> >could be part of the GA.
>>
>> Would it be possible for someone to be a member of a WG, and yet not
>> be a member of a Constituency or the GA?  In reading through things,
>> that would seem to be the case, as the NC can put anyone it wants to
>> into WGs.  Do the Constituencies have this power?  Does the GA?
>
>?? Could you give me a pointer where it says that "the NC can put anyone
>it wants to into the WG's"?

Well, what I was thinking of wasn't actually the case.  However, when
you think about the NC's current perceived ability to appoint whoever
they want as chair, then yes, they have this power.

>Given that the WG's are elements of the GA (per VI-B 2(b)) it would seem
>odd that the NC has any say in the matter whatsoever.

Keep in mind that the NC doesn't always view the GA the way we would
like them to.  And right now, I'm talking about the way the NC
currently operates, as opposed to the way it *should* operate.

>And as it says in VI-B 4(a), the GA "should" is composed of individuals.
>
>When one adds those together, it is pretty clear that the bylaws require
>that working groups "should" be composed of individuals plus the
>explicitly designated representative from each constituency.

I agree.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org