Re: [wg-d] determining the make up of working group D

Bret wrote:

> Voting in WGs and the GA will be, as with the membership, a difficult
> question, especially if we adopt an "anyone can participate" model (still
> to be decided). Can someone who has been following the MAC discussions on
> the ICANN general membership fill us in on what solutions they have
> found, or at least, what solutions they've rejected? It seems that there
> may be an awful lot of overlap in some of things we're trying to do.
>
>        -- Bret

Daniel Kaplan (member of ex-MAC) gave to AFNIC a summary about MAC.
From what I remember, they had 3 impossible hurdles:
     - fees (what is meaningless in one place is too much in another)
     - email address (they had to accept that an unique email
       may be used by many, because it may be shared in some poor countries)
     - verification of identity (even the official police service
       at every border need to be educated on how to distinguish
       the real passeport or identity card from a fake one)
plus the forth one: how many people from all the world would like
to apply, and the cost of registration and its management.

My mathematical opinion is that if you do not define a topology
and its metric, you will always end up with nothing.
But the devil is in the details.

Elisabeth