RE: [wg-d] Interim measures: second thoughts

> Advice from the IETF is always valuable, as will be input from other
> constituencies, such as the ISP Constituency, etc.

Just as a grange of wheat farmers should not be presumed to have special
expertise about how much yeast should be used when baking bread, one
should not presume that a body of internet standards writers have special
expertise on the question of how many TLDs can fit into a DNS server
before it explodes.

Clearly there are individuals in the IETF who have such useful insight.
People like Paul Vixie, Rob Austein, etc.  The "namedroppers" mailing list
is probably the best place to find such people.

I would encourage WG-C to ask those people specific focused questions.
Perhaps WG-C ought to pose a well formed query and put it onto the
"namedroppers" mailing list.

I might suggest that NANOG (and other operational groups) also be asked.

And much as we don't like mentioning their name, it might be useful to ask
NSI about the burden on their name servers.  As has been pointed out by
Jim Fleming, the fact that a prodigiously large zone, such as .com, works,
is very strong empirical evidence that we could have a root zone that is
of comperable size, i.e. millions of TLDs, and not suffer any ill effects.

		--karl--