RE: [wg-d] Interim measures: second thoughts

I don't think Karl was proposing that we punt to the IETF, because I don't
think that there is anybody left that would seriously claim that there is a
technical limitation on the number of TLD's in the root, at least at the
level that would affect our discussions.

I believe you are responding to Mark C. Langston.

This also brings me back to an earlier point I was trying to make, that one
about position papers as input to workgroups.

I have read, over the course of the last few years, lots of material on why
an increase in TLD's would be a good thing, and even some arguments that at
the time made a reasonable case for a very large, almost unlimited number of
registries and TLDs.

I'm not sure that the few or no growth proponents have made their case in
quite the same way. Perhaps they don't realize that their point of view is
still so obscure, but it is. I would encourage them to clearly and concisely
state not only their position, but also the rationale behind it, the
supporting arguments.

I know that there will be a great hew and cry that 'we've done this before,
over and over', but in that case it should be easy to dust off old material
and update it for the current situation.

Even if working groups can't come to consensus, having the material
submitted to the group creates the public record that future efforts can
build on.

D Schutt