Re: [wg-d] Interim measures: second thoughts

> I propose that the "no consensus" report go forward, with a strong
> recommendation that the issue be remanded to the IETF

It would certainly be interesting to WG-C to know the answer to the
question: "How many top level domains can we stuff into a single root
system before it goes 'boom'."

However, that is a research question, not a standardization issue.  And it
is one that is highly sensitive to particular implementations of DNS
servers.

I would suggest that the best source of input for this would be from those
who have done actual research, those who actually operate root systems,
especially those with larger than standard numbers of TLDs, and those who
build server software capable of acting as a root.

Moreover, I would suggest that there is little technical dispute that the
number of TLDs could be easily expanded from the current number of about
250 to 500 or 1000 without any undesirable side effects.  And since I
don't think that WG-C is thinking of anything close to doubling the number
of current TLDs, it is a question that may be merely interesting and not
really one that needs a detailed answer for the next year or so.

In other words, I don't think we should suggest to WG-C that they
undertake to answer that question as a critical path item.

		--karl--