RE: [wg-d] Working Group Membership

At 11:36 AM 18/08/1999 -0400, Antony Van Couvering wrote:

>I don't think it's so odd.  Joe X may be the guy that Very Big Co. sends to
>ICANN to keep an eye on things.  Joe X can participate in a WG as Joe X, but
>not as the rep of Very Big Co.  Joe can still view things from the company
>perspective, but he can't say, "My company is Very Big, and at Very Big we
>are against this because we are Very Big."
>
>That kind of behavior would belong in the constituency politics.  In the
>working group, Joe would have to have reasons for his positions, or at least
>be encouraged to do so.  Ideally, the working group would be disinterested,
>and would try to find solutions rather than promote company policy.
>
>That's one perspective where the distinction between companies and
>individuals makes a difference.

Very unlikely to happen in practice, Tony.
I noticed in WG-C  that John Lewis just delivered a "BT vote" on the straw
poll.
(and I for one, appreciate the openness)

Constituency politics seem to be inseparable from the WG's.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--  , bootstrap  of
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org