Re: [wg-d] Working Group Membership

> >?? Could you give me a pointer where it says that "the NC can put anyone
> >it wants to into the WG's"?
>
> Well, what I was thinking of wasn't actually the case.  However, when
> you think about the NC's current perceived ability to appoint whoever
> they want as chair, then yes, they have this power.

The NC appoints the chair of the GA (Article VI-B Section 2(i)), but the
NC does not appoint the WG chairs.  That is unspecified as far as I can
tell.  And since working groups are elements of the GA (it says that at
least twice in the ICANN bylaws - VI-B 2(b) and VI-B 2(c))), it seems that
the NC has no business appointing WG chairs.

I would suggest that we add to our list of topics the methods by which
working groups elect their own chair(s) or the GA does it.

> >Given that the WG's are elements of the GA (per VI-B 2(b)) it would seem
> >odd that the NC has any say in the matter whatsoever.
> >

> Keep in mind that the NC doesn't always view the GA the way we would
> like them to.  And right now, I'm talking about the way the NC
> currently operates, as opposed to the way it *should* operate.

Well, during this formative stage, a few errors might be excused.  But the
ICANN bylaws are what we are going by.  And if the NC is currently
operating in opposition to those bylaws, the NC is going to have to amend
its ways.

ICANN's bylaws are already being treated as optional guidelines by the
board, we ought not to sit by and quietly let the NC also get away with
that kind of lax adherence to the fundamental structure.

		--karl--