RE: [wg-d] Working Group Membership

Bret,

The two sections of the bylaws that deal with this question are as follows:

VI-B.2(b) - The NC is responsible for the management of the consensus
building process of the DNSO.  It shall adopt such procedures and policies
as it sees fit to carry out that responsibility, including the designation
of such research or drafting committees, working groups and other bodies of
the GA as it determines are appropriate to carry out the substantive work of
the DNSO.  Such bodies shall include at least one representative nominated
by each recognized Constituency, and shall provide appropriate means, as
determined by the NC, for input and such participation as is practicable
under the circumstances by other interested parties.

VI-B.4(a)  The GA shall be an open forum for participation in the work of
the DNSO, and open to all who are willing to contribute effort to the work
of the DNSO.  The participants in the GA should be individuals who have a
knowledge of and an interest in issues pertaining to the areas for which the
DNSO has primary responsibility, and who are willing to contribute time,
effort and expertise to the work of the DNSO, including work item proposal
and development, discussion of work items, draft document preparation, and
participation in research and drafting committees and working groups.

These read to me as if Working Groups are open to anyone who is "willing to
contribute time, effort, and expertise".  The NC is responsible for making
sure that those who do want to participate are given a means to do so. (As
opposed, say, to restricting membership).

There is a different question, which has to do with voting.  If our group
(for instance) has 30 members, and the day before the vote 50 more join, do
they get to vote?  Here is where the "willing to contribute time, effort,
and expertise" restriction might be of some use.

- Antony