Re: [wg-c] new TLDs

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, James Love wrote:
> I have recieved some private mail, asking if we were happy with the
> ICANN results, and the answer is no.  Like many others, were were
> disappointed with many of the rejections and many of the comments from
> various board members.  That said, I think that Jonathan and others who
> moved the process forward deserve thanks, and I hope this leads to a
> further expansion of the root.  I thought it was interesting how close
> the numbers came to the 6 to 10 from the WG-C report.   We'd like to see
> thousands added, and I imagine these will lead to a much greater number
> down the road.  I hope so.  I feel badly for those who paid the $50k and
> were rejected on very arbitrary grounds.

	I agree, FWIW, that there was a whole lot wrong with the selection
process, which was ad hoc and arbitrary; to pick just one example, I think
the way that the Sarnoff application (I've got no connection with it) was
first accepted and then torpedoed was completely egregious.  (I'm
confident, Rod, that we won't see any written explanations of the Board's
decisions.)  But there were a lot of days while the process was unfolding
when I was unsure whether we'd see any new TLDs at all.  I'm glad we've
made it this far, and hopeful that the Board members (although not staff)
seem genuinely interested in further approvals.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com