Re: [wg-c] Give NSI .shop and take back .com

1.  Is the Working Group C approach that the registries will propose
both the string and the charter, rather than have ICANN?

2.  I assume that NSI wants to run the new registry in order to prevent
another rival from emerging.  I assume that NSI's suggestion the
registry be owned by the other registrars is also consistent with making
it hard for another rival to emerge.  I don't think I am going out on a
limb here.  With its current control of the gTLD space, why wouldn't one
expect NSI to try to protect its monopoly?  That's what monopolies
usually do.

3.  Was NSI allowed to vote in the Names Council votes on the new
registries?  (I haven't seen the tallys).  What do the ICANN bylaws
provide in terms of conflicts of interest for the Names Council?  Is
there anyone on the Names Council who doesn't have an "intereset" in
this issue, if not a "conflict" of interest?  I'm not sure how ICANN
deals with conflicts of interest.  It seems as though it kind of rewards
conflicts, by giving you more votes, board seats, etc, than people
without direct commerical interests in the outcome.

  Jamie

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 05:48 PM 4/19/00 -0400, James Love wrote:
> >Since NSI is so taken by .shop for a new TLD, I suggest we give NSI the
> >opportunity to be the registry for .shop, on the condition they give
> >back the .com registry.
>
> James, thank you for the constructive effort.  You weren't just being
> wastefully sarcastic were you?
>
> Unfortunately, you managed to inject vastly more emotion, on NSI's part,
> than their own text provided.  They made some suggestions.  That's all.
>

> >ps... I wonder what market research led NSI to choose .shop for its
> >competitor?
>
> Were you just slightly familiar with the considerable history of the gTLD
> activities, you would know that that particular string has received more
> extensive review and support than any other.
>
> d/
>
> =-=-=-=-=
> Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
> Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
> Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
> 675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
P.O. Box 19367        | http://www.cptech.org
Washington, DC 20036  | love@cptech.org
Voice 202/387-8030    | Fax 202/234-5176