[wg-c] 1447PDT 4/18, DNSO NC made all our work irrelevant

In the teleconference just now, they decided:

1)  That WGs are not the voice of the community, and that reports that
    go to the ICANN BoD should reflect their constituencies wishes instead
    (several almost sotto voce comments were heard regarding the fact that
    "just anyone" can participate in the working groups, and the results
    should be discounted),

2)  That new gTLDs should be introduced (Yes: 14, No: 3  Abs: 0), but

3)  That it shouldn't be 6-10 (Yes: 5, No: 9, Abs:  2)

They're probably going to act on WG-B's report next, and wholeheartedly
support the Sunrise proposal, because all the "dissenters" were those
unrepresented rabble who you find in open processes, and the voices
being heard couldn't possibly reflect the community.

Pat yourselves on the back, folks.  We've just wasted a year of our
lives to have a group of lawyers decide that _THEY_ should be making
these decisions, and to hell with our work if they don't agree with it.

And just so you know, one of the staunchest and most vocal of those
speaking up regarding just tossing our results was the ever-present
Mr. Sheppard, of the Sheppard/Kleinman document, and co-NC liason to
WG-B.

They've just aptly demonstrated that the working groups are meaningless.
We could have had just as much influence if the NC itself came up with
the report, and then opened it to public comment.

Of course, this particular NC teleconference isn't archived anywhere
and wasn't webcast, due to "budgetary considerations".  Must be the
US$75k they're having to spend for a Secretariat, huh?

One of these days, there's going to be a _real_ threat to the
stability of the Net, and there's not much the mighty IP Constituency
and their deep pockets can do about it.  Keep throwing your muscle
around like this, and you may find that the people who know how to
operate the border routers, the switches, the servers hosting
mission-critical services have had their fill of your antics,
organize, and go on strike.  And unlike a factory floor, your chances
of finding scabs and strikebreakers to come in and run the machinery
for you are significantly smaller.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org