Re: [wg-c] CONSENSUS CALLS -- THIS IS IT

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 11:29:18AM -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER ONE
>
> The initial rollout should include a range of top level domains, from open
> TLDs to restricted TLDs with more limited scope.

yes

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER TWO
>
> 	Criteria for assessing a gTLD application, subject to current technical
> constraints and evolving technical opportunities, should be based on all of
> the following principles :

yes

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER THREE
>
> WG-C recommends that the Names Council charter a working group to develop
> policy regarding internationalized domain names using non-ASCII characters.

no, not on policy development.
start with INFORMATIONAL WG.

  we had discussion on this topic at ccTLD constituency in Cairo, and
  concluded to recommend to have the informational WG to DNSO starting
  from July 2000 after we receive the "final draft of IETF idn WG on
  requirement", but not at Cairo DNSO Meeting, which we believe is
  premature.

  IETF has to look into the technical issue first to find out if the
  mulitilingaul domain names are feasible technically.  Having the
  policy development without investigation on the technical issues is
  premature.

  At the same time, there are much development and deployment of the
  multilingual domain names throughout the world.  Therefore, we should
  recommend to have INFORMATIONAL WG first at the next ICANN DNSO meeting
  in July 2000, which would identify the issues related to the policy
  development as well as other relevant issues.

chon