Re: [wg-c] CONSENSUS CALLS -- THIS IS IT

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER ONE
>
> 	The initial rollout should include a range of top level
> domains, from open TLDs to restricted TLDs with more limited scope.

I object to the form, but agree that the initial rollout should include
both generic, non-chartered TLDs and chartered TLDs.

If I may vote as to the substance, then my vote is YES.  However, if I'm
forced to adhere to the item as worded, I cannot assent to it.

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER TWO
>
> 	Criteria for assessing a gTLD application, subject to current technical
> constraints and evolving technical opportunities, should be based on all of
> the following principles :

I vote NO.  I object to principles #1, #3, #5.

> PROPOSED ROUGH CONSENSUS ITEM NUMBER THREE
>
> 	WG-C recommends that the Names Council charter a working group
> to develop policy regarding internationalized domain names using
> non-ASCII characters.

I vote NO.  This is beyond the scope of this WG, and should not be
delegated to another WG as this is a technical, not policy, issue.
Furthermore, I do not believe this belongs in ICANN's hands at all --
it is correctly handled by the IETF group already working on this
issue.  ICANN should be completely hands-off on this.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org