Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

At 10:43 PM 4/10/00 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

>On 11-Apr-2000 Simon Higgs wrote:
><snip>
> > The Postel draft applicants were given "working documents" from IANA such
> > as this one:
><snip>
> > pre-sales but got veto'd by Bill Manning (much to Chris Ambler's
> > amusement). Go figure.
>
>Too bad they lacked the authority to bind any authority for said gTLDs.

Yeah, and we wouldn't be wasting our time now. ;-)

IANA had the authority to do what it was doing. Since it wasn't introducing
new TLDs into the root at that point - so it didn't need that authority.

It was proceeding along the new TLD definition and evaluation process. The
authority to do this did exist, as previously documented on the GA list.
This included making judgement calls on how to best to evaluate the
registry/TLD applications, and whether those organizations were able to
fulfill the registry/registrar functions. This criteria included prior use
and credit-card processing.

Best Regards,

Simon

--