RE: [wg-c] S/K principles [Was: Working Group C agenda]

At 12:39 AM 4/10/00 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         6. As a general matter, new TLDs should be designed to serve
>non-English-speaking as well as English-speaking communities.  As

Jonathan,

This is an excellent example of a very well-intentioned rule that will
likely, instead, have ill-effect.

Essentially it mandates that new names be non-english and then asks for an
effort to go off an study the issue further. That guarantees more,
open-ended delay before we get ANY new gTLDs.

No, that is not the intention of the rule.  Yes, the rule is trying to do a
Good Thing.

But remember the political environment this activity is suffering
from.  The rule will be used as one more excuse for delay.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA