RE: [wg-c] S/K principles [Was: Working Group C agenda]

Jon;

Sorry for not having more time to contribute to this very intersting debate,
but I would like here to put my 2cts.

I fully support the terminology gTLD = Generic Top Level Domain (chartered
or not) this makes the distinction between the ccTLDs (attached to a country
at least by its 2 letter code, the policy and usage of it is something else)
and the gTLDs which don't have any links to any particular country.

I have a little worry about the S/K principles and in particular with the
principle #5

5. The selection of a gTLD string should not confuse net users, and so
gTLDs should be clearly differentiated by the string and/or by the
marketing and functionality associated with the string.

The problem will be the string, for example .union has a complete different
meaning in France (so in french) than in English !!!!!!! and may be it's an
insult in some other language...so Do we have the goal to invent a global
language????????

I take the opportunity to say something: We try or people want us here we
fix all the problems which don't have an answer in the real world (vs
virtual world = Internet), I mean people from IP community want us we fix
their problem of trademarks on the net but this problem exists on the real
world and they don't have any idea how to fix it. For example we have 3
differents trademarks for Mont Blanc in France, which one has a right in
.com !!!!!!! And now S/K try to fix the problem of universal language !!!!!

Just my thoughs.

Jean-Michel Becar
E.T.S.I.