RE: [wg-c] S/K principles [Was: Working Group C agenda]

Jonathan Weinberg, et al, I would like to take another crack at encouraging
this group to think through the implications of applying the S/K principles
to TLDs and registries. My earlier posting suggested that as a matter of
practice, enforcement would (likely) be handled differently among different
registries. I wish to expand upon the thoughts I had earler:

Seems to me there is likely to be little incentive for ICANN or any other
entity exercising a quasi-judicial regulatory function, to police how well
registries are carrying out their function of staying within their mandates,
except in cases of behavior sufficiently outrageous that substantial
consensus emerged that "something must be done" such as already has begun by
ICANN to deal with cybersquats. For the most part, whoever is administering
the tld will in practice self-regulate, and the market response to that
self-regulation will determine market niche and market success.

If one were to accept this view, the adoption of "principles" serves as
guidance not law; standards to be applied in general, but not immutably;
practices to be encouraged but where reasonable people may differ as to
application.

How the principles would be applied concretely comes down to concrete
registration mechanisms -- do you have a human mind reviewing the
applications, or just accept every formulation submitted electronically --
it's a choice the registry makes -- and dispute-resolution techniques used
by the registries when things go wrong, backed in extreme cases by the
possibility of revocation of administrative responsibility in the event that
a registrar's practices have created sufficient damage to the domain system
as a whole to create the juice for the sanction of revocation or suspension.

This approach vitiates the question of whether the principles are absolutely
precise, absolutely enforceable, absolutely the best possible formulation,
or have meaning. If they do not prove to have meaning in practice, what harm
will have been done? If they do, they will have added such value as they
add.

As to whether they should be inherent in a "charter" or only used to guide
in selecting new gtlds, as Bret A. Fausett's posting suggested, why not
both? Chris Ambler's characterization of this as a NSI monopoly protection
act need not prove to be true except to the extent that existing
registrations have already created global recognition of particular
trademarks for which it is a desirable thing for consumers that confusion
not take place (the dueling over the alta vista site was a real pain for
those of us who just wanted to use the browser but kept going to the wrong
place). I'm cautious about open or non-chartered TLDs, because of their
potential for abuse, but an experiment or two with them might answer some of
the questions with the thought that if things turn really ugly, consumers
can choice to avoid them, and if they turn out not to cause problems, we
will have learned something.

Finally, on Tim Wee's issue of multilingualism, some bright software
designer will some day integrate into the domain name system an
auto-translation plug-in that makes .com and .org and .net readable whether
the characters used by the writer are in roman, Cyrillic, Arabic or Chinese
ideograms. In the meantime, anything we can do to foster multilingual TLD
selections is surely desirable.