Re: [Re: [RE: [wg-c] Excellent suggestion from slashdot -- apparently]

Actually the idea of a registered logo/certificate is a wonderful concept, but
almost useless in reality. Anyone can copy a logo, and anyone can dummy up its
behavior. We've been down this road; even the ABA's own logo on its own
website differs from page to page. They tried hard on a logo, but the effort
has not caught on. Why? Liability and recognition. How's a consumer to know?
Look for the union label?

So, while I certainly agree that a logo is a great idea, the reality is that
the DNS name is by far more recognized. It may not be how it was intended to
be used, but there it is.

For the FDIC, and I think all banks globally, this isn't a problem right now.
The scams the SEC is fighting are not feasible with banks since there really
isn't any electronic money yet, and ACH transfers take time.
However, when electronic money does happen, or ACH transfers become
instantaneous, then the problem will become acute.

And while I know I'm a newcomer, neophyte AND rehash a bit, I also hope that
the veterans in this working group aren't fighting yesterday's battles.