Re: [wg-c] So why not name.space style? [was suggestion from slashdot]

> 1. NSI would never agree to it. If they don't agree, it's not fair
> (and probably not legal) to make new registries have to follow
> it. Convince NSI to agree, and it can be done.

Huh? I'm sure NSI was opposed to allowing other registrars (such as
TuCows OpenSRS) compete with them, but that certainly went
through. Doesn't ICANN have the power to decide things like this?
Perhaps I don't understand the power structure here -- could somebody
enlighten me?

> 2. It's not technically feasible right now, the way the system
> works. This is a weaker reason, as the system could be changed. But
> for now, it's not.

Really? What part of the system? Where did somebody (foolishly)
hardcode in the current list of gTLD's? Or is it a concern about
somebody on an intranet who's been resolving my.machine to
my.machine.intranet.com and then somebody registers my.machine in the
global namespace? AFAIK, if you type a dot in a hostname, it should
resolve in the global namespace first -- or else intranet admins could
just set up their nameservers to resolve locally first, then globally.

  - aj

--
"Nobody has any 'Rights'. We are entitled only to Liberties"
Adam Megacz <megacz@cmu.edu> -- for current phone/postal, see