Re: [wg-c] Choosing the intial testbed

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:49:15PM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> > Never work.  How do you ask the Internet Community, Patrick?
>
> I'd ask that question of the ICANN board. They claim to be operating under
> the auspices of "community consensus...."

The defined method for finding community consensus for TLD names is
through WGs of the DNSO.  Anyone can participate in a WG -- they are
completely open.

> > How do you define the Internet Community?  And besides, picking the
> > strings independent of a real proposal for how it will be run is mostly
> > useless.
>
> Bull. That's like saying you can't run a phone company without a proposal
> on how it will be run. Domain names are very much akin to a utility.

There are 240+ registries of all shapes and sizes.  Most of them are
tiny and have miniscule infrastructure; a few are very large.
Experience has shown that there is no need for a registry to start with
huge infrastructure.