Re: [wg-c] more on non-shaired gTLDs

At 09:33 PM 3/19/00 -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>I would like to point out that there has been mention on this thread of
>IETF/IAB imposed requirements.  I fail to perceive any that are relevant
>to this particular question, expecially as diversity of TLD operators is a
>policy matter that, to my my mind, is devoid of any technical issues.

The reference was to the IAB and neither the reference to them nor the
document they wrote cites any "imposed" requirements.  That is a
perspective on their assessment that is your creation.

If you sit on a chair and I say that you are sitting on a chair, I have not
"imposed" a requirement on the object that it be a chair.  The DNS has
design characteristics.  A competent assessment of the details those
characteristics is not something created by the assessor.  If you challenge
the competence of the IAB's assessment, you know how to find them and
discuss it.  You have yet to do that.

As to relevance, the question of permitting "shared management" among
competing administrators of a registry is highly relevant, when an expert
body assesses the registry as needing a single, coherent
administration.  This can't be wished away, Karl.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA