Re: [wg-c] distributing gTLD whois

At 08:41 AM 3/19/00 -0800, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>when new registries come on line it will be difficult to traverse the
>whois tree with current whois clients. there are several ways to solve
>the problem I would like to hear which proposal might work best.
>
>   a) allocate the TLD in TLD.whois.int maping to the registry's
>      whois service.

This is really the same approach as is taken for in-addr.int, namely
creating a 'centralized' mapping table.  It is a well-understood approach,
though it is separated from the main set of data that the registry-related
people work with.

>   b) require the current manager of rs.internic.net to merge all
>      whois queries into the current whois service providing referals
>      to the actual authorative service.

The extreme version of 'centralized'.

And...

I believe there is an alternate approach that is simpler, scales well, and
is more natural for the registry folk to deal with:

         Require whois support for .<TLD>.  So to find out about the
registration of brandenburg.com, you ave whois query .com.  To find out the
registration of icann.org, you have whois query .org.

This is thoroughly predictable and involves maintenance by the organization
already responsible for the relevant TLD.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA