[wg-c] distributing gTLD whois

all:

when new registries come on line it will be difficult to traverse the
whois tree with current whois clients. there are several ways to solve
the problem I would like to hear which proposal might work best.

  a) allocate the TLD in TLD.whois.int maping to the registry's
     whois service.

  b) require the current manager of rs.internic.net to merge all
     whois queries into the current whois service providing referals
     to the actual authorative service.

option A is more scaleable and preferable for distributed data but is
the current whois client wouldn't initially support it. this option would
also require a limited amount of oversight by IANA.

option B would work with current clients but the current manager of
rs.internic.net would is not likely to support it. Overhead would be
significant.

There is certanly the option of doing nothing and letting the community
figure it out. I would like to hear other options of dealing with the
whois issues surrounding new registries and distribuiting whois discovery.

thanks,

-rick