From: owner-wg-c@dnso.org [mailto:owner-wg-c@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Karl
Auerbach
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2000 9:46 PM
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA
Cc: wgc
Subject: RE: [wg-c] Re: your mail

> Should we also be talking about spinning .net and .org out into separate
> registries? That would present new business opportunities to operate and
> market names in these gTLDs.

To me it makes sense.  And it comports with the principle that I sugested
the other day that anyone running a DNS service under the ICANN franchise
root be constrained to but one TLD offering.

Bill Semich suggested a counter concern, that of economies of scale.  And
that's a legitimate concern.  To my mind, we probably ought to be more
interested in mechanisms that encourage imaginative new ideas rather than
saving a few back office cycles.

However, I'm not sure how such diversity would help solve the kidsonline
situtuation.

		--karl--