Re: [wg-c] Restatement of wg-c discussion

On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 10:51:03AM +1100, Rothnie, Warwick wrote:

> Even though "the relevant Internet community [or should that be the RELEVANT
> internet community?] was not consulted, not informed and by some devious
> KGB/CIA not allowed to comment, the WIPO report does somehow manage to weigh
> these factors in the balance and come to the unsurprising conclusion that
> the real world needs some means of protection against the blackmailers,
> would-be hijackers and would-be conspirators.

Yes, the real world does need exactly that.

Perhaps when those blackmailers, would-be hijackers and would-be
conspirators stop demanding they get their way and start cooperating
with the real world, things will seem much more reasonable.

You see, those terms--"Blackmailers", "hijackers", and "conspirators",
are all really a matter of perspective.  And for the longest time,
many of us have been fighting the good fight against them.

It just seems that our "them" is the opposite of your "them".

We can readily see that your "them" has capitulated and recapituated,
giving ground at every turn, in the feeble hope that one day we might
be able to get on with this process.  In turn, our "them" has
steadfastly denied any such concessions to civility or cooperation,
demanding instead that their interests above all others be served.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org