RE: [wg-c] Restatement of wg-c discussion

Mallesons Stephen Jaques
Confidential communication

Please disregard the confidentiality notice which is, as rightly pointed
out, meaningless in this context.

Mikki Barry said:

>We've been over this before.  The WIPO process ignored dissenting
>opinions, including those opinions of their own "panel of experts."
>The relevant Internet community was NOT consulted, was NOT informed,
>and was NOT allowed to comment.

Three published RFCs?  1358 registered participants?  Representation from 74
countries?  420 subscribers to the Listserver?  Relevant WIPO website
activity exceeding 100,000 hits per month  in 5 of the 9 months, 60,ooo in
two other and 20,000 in the last two?  Just for starters.  The published
lists of organisations and individuals who made submissions seems to cover
quite a diverse range of interests, including some of the regular
protagonists on this list.

>One more time, privacy interests need to be protected from oppressive
>governments, from would-be stalkers, from those who wish to persecute
>others because of their beliefs, and from reverse hijackers who want
>licenses to steal domain names from others.

Even though "the relevant Internet community [or should that be the RELEVANT
internet community?] was not consulted, not informed and by some devious
KGB/CIA not allowed to comment, the WIPO report does somehow manage to weigh
these factors in the balance and come to the unsurprising conclusion that
the real world needs some means of protection against the blackmailers,
would-be hijackers and would-be conspirators.

Warwick A Rothnie
Partner
Mallesons Stephen Jaques Melbourne
Direct line (61 3) 9643 4254